The Hubbard Free Library holds the distinction of being housed in the oldest library building in Maine still serving its original purpose. The building was designed by Alexander C. Currier and built in 1880. Additions in 1893 and 1897 led to the building's current floorplan. In 1970 the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The Library has it own special and rare collections holdings. The records within deal with the local history and are comprised of "historic artifacts and archival materials."
Selected Hubbard Free Library images:
- Dr. Clearwater's Pharmacy, Hallowell, ca. 1904
- All Humbug, Dr. Clearwater patent medicine advertisement, Hallowell, ca. 1935
- Hallowell Cotton Mill, Academy Street, ca. 1885
- Della Collins, Eastern Steamship Company Wharf, Kennebec River, Hallowell, ca. 1890
- Henry Pope Clearwater, Hallowell, ca. 1950
- Dr. John Hubbard Jr., Hallowell, ca. 1850
- Eliza Clark Lowell, Hallowell, ca. 1897
- Hallowell Chelsea Bridge, Chelsea, ca. 1865
- Hallowell viewed from Chelsea, Hallowell Chelsea Bridge, ca. 1865
- Hallowell viewed from Butternut Park, Chelsea, ca. 1890
- Hallowell Firemen's Association Band, Hallowell, ca. 1890
- Water Street, Hallowell, ca. 1900